Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Becoming Me

'Tis the season to bake cookies, so the other day I decided to make this years first batch of Christmas cookies with Helen.  She was thrilled, and I was thrilled to get to share with her something that I really love to do.  So I set out to teach her how to ball up the dough, roll it out, and then cut it into shapes.  In the process she got frustrated saying, "mommy I can't do it."  My response was, "honey, one day you will be just like mommy, and you will be able to do it."  She replied, "I don't want to be just like you."   Being taken aback by her words, I asked her, "who do you want to be like?"  She said, "I want to be like me."

As an artist I often ask myself the same question.  Who do I want to be like?  Who do I want to sound like?  What should l look like?  Who's career should I model?  In a world that is influenced by a cookie cutting industry, there is a lot of confusion on what defines success.  The simple truth  is that I need to accept who I am and become the greatest version of me that I can be.  Leave it to the innocent confidence of a 4 year old to be that reminder.  She is an amazing soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment